Monday, March 5, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Bento

Spaghetti Squash Bento by sherimiya ♥
Spaghetti Squash Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
This quickie bento is an adaptation of one of my basic pasta stand-bys: spaghetti with sauteed onion, zucchini, mushroom and nitrite-free chicken sausage. It still contains all those things but I intended to substitute the whole wheat spaghetti with spaghetti squash. I've never made this squash before; have you? All you do is bake it for awhile, then slice it open lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and then pull out the spaghetti-like strands of flesh. I was skeptical, but that's really how it turned out! I tried it out on the kids, and they seemed to like it just fine. If I had tossed it with tomato sauce or pesto, I bet they'd like it even more. I ended up not completely omitting the pasta, just so that they'd have some comfort food in there too. I filled up two sections of this bento with this one-dish meal, and saved the 3rd for cottage cheese topped with berries and carrots.

12 comments:

  1. I love spaghetti squash! It's been way too long since I've had it. A quick and simple meal can be had with spaghetti squash that's been coated with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five stars bento! I mean it really ...
    I would love to try spaghetti squash. It looks delicious! At first I thought it was ready made spaghetti like the one in the supermarket. You tricked me there hehehe (^.^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really looks like spaghetti; it's so strange. But still can't fool the kids with the squash taste, heh.
      Thanks a lot Lia!

      Delete
  3. This looks lovely and sounds even more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute looking one


    Aarthi
    http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I love spaghetti squash! Don't tell anybody, but I cook mine in the microwave, lol. I bet it's wonderful with sausage!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Microwave is a great idea Heather. Probably quicker too. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. trying to catch up with your posts! I need to try this spaghetti squash for myself! As a matter of fact, I finally got my hands on kobocha! It's still sitting freshly on my counter top...I have to look through your posts to get some ideas! Happy bento-ing and hope all is fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love Kabocha! I have two sitting on my counter right now too. Thanks for stopping by Mrs. P! Hope you are all doing well too!

      Delete