Monday, September 12, 2011

Quinoa Salad Bento

Has it really been over a year since I made quinoa salad? Oops. Can't imagine why I hadn't made it this summer. It's a great way to use summer squash, along with colorful bell peppers and crunchy celery, for a protein-rich meatless lunch option. Quinoa is an ancient grain that comes in a variety of colors (see my picture here). I used a tricolor mix today for this salad. The non-recipe is an easy one: simply saute the peppers and minced garlic in olive oil until crisp-tender, then add 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water (or broth of your choice). Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Add sliced zucchini about halfway through cooking. Season with salt to taste, and I also added cumin. It's done when the quinoa is tender but not mushy. Turn off the heat and add celery and nuts for crunch. This recipe is very adaptable - you can add any vegetable you like. Try tomatoes or kabocha, or top with chopped apples; it's refreshing and nutritious. I tucked a piece of corn on the cob, an Okinawan sweet potato "spaceship", some carrots, and a cup of Greek yogurt with berries and sunflower seeds into this EcoLunch Box to round out a fresh meal. Happy little bento!

As a side note, my recent Domokun sandwich bento has been receiving attention from ParentMap magazine (see article here) and Happy Daddy magazine (a French blog here). Coincidentally, the PBS.org article I mentioned last time also featured a (different) Domokun sandwich bento I had made. I guess it's the season for Domo. RAWR! ^_^

13 comments:

  1. Oh I love this bento. I too haven't made any quinoa in forever. You've inspired me to do so hopefully soon. Go rocket, go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah - go for it Jenn! I remembered I used quinoa in meatballs before too. Have to work the quinoa back into the rotation again. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see your colorful quinoa! They look like little precious gems. Spotted your cute purple spaceship too. Congrats for being featured on the both magazines, so cool! (^.^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't try for quinoa before, but it looks yummy..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sheri! Thanks for introducing the Quinoa grains. I think they are a very good alternative to the usual rice grains. Oh yes, that rocket rocks too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mm, love quinoa salad too. I love that you added 'crunch' to yours. Must try that next time. And Congrats on your bentos being featured EVERYWHERE! lol. Seriously, when is your new show coming up? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Now I want some quinoa too, lol. The texture in this bento is unbelievable! It looks amazing.

    Congrats on the magazines, that is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy and healthy inspiration! Thanks for reminding me about good old quinoa...as fall arrives, the rich palette of earthy grains becon. Beautiful fresh bento, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely idea with the quinoa! Such a bright and tasty bento :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually use quinoa in my tabbouleh salad.. will try your salad, looks yummy!! and congrats on the magazines. Cute sweet potato spaceship!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a lot Lia, Yenny, Bento Cat, Chantale, Heather, Bentobird, Natakiya and Jana~!
    So sweet; I appreciate your kind comments a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful bento Sheri! I've never made quinoa before but it looks like everyone loves it and I must make it soon!!! I love the rocket cutter. My son's favorite. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nami,
    Thanks. Quinoa is super easy to prepare, and you can add it to other dishes that the kids already like. They won't even notice. It doesn't have much taste and it's easy to toss with vegetables and flavor as you like.

    ReplyDelete