Thursday, January 13, 2011

Takoyaki Bento


Takoyaki Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Today TinySprite and I stayed home. She had a low-grade fever and no appetite last night, so I wanted to make sure she stayed warm and dry on this cold, wet day. She loved having the whole morning together, and we did exercises, singing, reading and cooking. I had picked up a stovetop takoyaki pan at Marukai long ago, and decided today was as good a time as any to try it out. I didn't have octopus but I did have shrimp, so I made a substitution. Also, I used a package okonomi batter, since it was handy. You can see tutorials at Just Hungry and Lunch In A Box, but basically what I did was: mix up batter using the prepackaged mix, water, and an egg; heat the pan on the stove; pour batter into the pan just below the rim; add a cube of cooked shrimp and some shredded cabbage (you can also add beni shoga but I omitted it for kids' tastes); let cook until bottom is set, then flip using two wooden skewers.
There's no way to easily describe how to do it without pictures, and there was no way I could take pictures while I did it. It's kind of tricky to figure out the timing and the technique to flip without spilling batter all over the pan, but you'll learn quickly. Mine didn't turn out beautifully spherical, but they were pretty good for us! The spilled batter can be scraped back into the cup with the wooden skewers. I know purists will say you have to use octopus, but these tasted great with shrimp, and the kids loved it. She asked for some in her bento, and although it won't be fresh and crispy, I hope she'll still enjoy it. I was able to squeeze 5 in her bento box, with Cara Cara oranges, cherries, broccoli and carrot in the other side. I won't add the sauce, kewpie, and aonori until the morning so hopefully it won't get too soggy by lunchtime. If she were older I might send the sauce in a separate container for her to squirt on by herself. Here's a montage of her eating her first one. She loved 'em. ^_^

21 comments:

  1. Takoyaki is one of my favs and I love your adorable presentation in this bento! I had to have Steve take photos when I made it for my blog.. even then, hard to describe the fun involved! I'll have to try it with shrimp sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, too yummy. Also, your kids are awesome. They'll eat anything! Octopus? This is K's face when you mention octopus or any seafood:: O_o
    lol. Hope TS is feeling better. She is SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love takoyaki! I hope TS will get well soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful bento! I have not made takoyaki, but I have a stove top pan that I used to make savory aebleskivers. I think I took a one hand photo, I can't remember I'll have to check.

    Your daughter is adorable and looks like she's feeling much better. Savor the time together :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megg,
    Thanks a lot! The cooking goes by so quick that there's not that much time. Anyway, my 3 year old couldn't manage my camera probably. Haha! Try the shrimp; it's goooood :)

    Chantale; we used shrimp, not octopus, but my kids have eaten the real takoyaki at street fairs and love it. If you squirt enough sauce on, I'm sure K will lap it right up! TS seemed fine all day. She slept an inordinate amount, which leads me to believe she's not been well-rested. I hope we can remedy that this weekend. Thank you!

    Thanks Sysyl! She's feeling better already :)

    Lyndsey,
    The aebleskiver pan is probably exactly the same. I couldn't take a one-handed photo because I'm not skilled enough to flip the half-cooked ball with one hand. Darn!
    Thank you, TS is doing much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh.. I love Takoyaki.. I would it out sometime too. but I dont think they sell the pan here.

    I was wondering how do you flip the batter too.. do you fill up the mould and wait till the batter almost set in then add another half after you flip?

    I like to see tiny sprite expression eating her food.. she is so happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you sure? I think it's a very similar pan to what's used in Europe too. After you fill up the mold and the bottom is set, you turn while the interior is still wet, pouring the raw batter into the bottom of the well. Then you keep turning the rest of the way to close up the ball and keep it round. You don't add any extra batter. The ball ends up hollowish. I hope you can try it. It's kind of fun! And you can add whatever fillings you like.

    Thank you for your nice comments. I'm so gratified to see her eating with happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, it's ebiyaki? LOL :D. Gimme some gimme some! OMG, TS is sooo cute ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, ebiyaki, heh! Yummy! Thank you tatabonita! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. :D :D :D It looks so good!!!! Now I am so jealous you have that pan! You people keep feeding my thousand pages cooking equipment wish list X).
    My dad is an expert on making takoyaki. He is really good, very round crispy little demons. AHAHA. But I confess... I didn´t like it when I was living with them (ok, slap me). I mean... the octopus. Dad made hotdogs-yaki for me (just because). ^_^ Same toppings , tasted heaven!
    TS is so big! Is she really 3yo? I see my girl and she looks like a baby :P
    Hope she is feeling better today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to eat it but don't know how to make it hahaha ... Looks so yummy! Love TS' collage photos with her cute expressions. Hope she will feel better soon and you all have fun this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! I don't think I will try it soon though. I only recently learned how to make pancakes without making a huge mess ;) So this might be one step too far for me yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a delightful post! I can't wait to try making these at home, the crispy freshness looks wonderful. TS collage is too cute, love her happy expressions!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look fantastic Sheri! I love the pics of Tiny Sprite, she's to cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They sound delicious - but maybe a little more work than I'm willing to try....but that pan is adorable. Now you have to have her try them with octopus - I bet she would like them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's great fun to spend time with the little one. Hope Tiny Sprite feels better already. The takoyaki looks wonderful! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you put the shrimp/octopus in raw into the batter? Looks fun, and if my kitchen were bigger I would get a pan like that. As it is, my hubby will kill me if I buy one more bento item. That's why we're moving to a bigger place: more room for bento gear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy New Year Sheri! Guess what Santa gave me for the holidays? A takoyaki griddle! All the instructions are in Japanese, so I'm winging it with your blog holding my hand. That's one cute little princess too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow takoyaki...right at home! that is awesome! I can't help myself everytime i walk into Shirakiya Ala Moana just to watch them make it. But of course it's not the same as what you see in Tokyo!

    Have you tried making dutch pancake balls or donut holes in the takoyaki pan yet? hehe i'm sure you can do more with the pan than tako or shrimpyaki! =)

    Your daughter is getting so big! She is looking more and more like you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tiny Sprite is so cuuuuuute ! I want to have the same daughter !! lol

    Regards from France !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Karaimame, Lia, Uniflame, Bentobird, Susan, Karina, Xelia, Sonoma Bento, Judy, Mrs. P and France: Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete