Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sushi and Caterpillar Bento


Sushi and Caterpillar Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
This Bay Area heatwave we've had for a couple days is just what summer is supposed to be like, finally! But soaring temperatures means I don't feel like cooking. Luckily there are ways to pack a bento without cooking. This one contains sushi made with mixed rice and sardine furikake, topped with decorative carrot flower shapes. On the side I filled a lined cup with ocean salad and krab. I added pickled ginger to the little side section. On the other side of this double sushi box I placed steamed broccoli, some Okinawan sweet potato slices (with a radish slice face), grapes and nectarines. There's a slot in the center to hold a pair of chopsticks. I hope MisterMan finds this lunch a cool one that's fun to eat. Hope you're all keeping cool this week too!

12 comments:

  1. This bento is just nice for a hot summer! The caterpillar looks enjoying itself for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little caterpillar is going out to play too? Cute color. Is that a new box? Looks very convenient to use with the place for chopsticks in the middle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I'd love this for my lunch too! The ocean salad looks yummy! And I love the colour of the sweet potato. My mom would love this bento too.. As much as I am just loving the warm weather, I hope you guys stay safe and cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at the colours, the bento nutrition is well balanced. Love the sweet potato caterpillar, looks yummy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww... cute little caterpillar!
    Love the bento box especially the small sections at the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never saw anything that looked so happy to eaten than your cutey caterpillar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the color of caterpillar too.
    Hope you enjoy your summer, Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. The carrot flowers against the nori backdrop is so pretty. Hv a happy finally summer days! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy bento! That caterpillar is cuuuute. Too bad summer was so short. Three days, that's it?! We got robbed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks KidsDreamWork, Lia, Chantale, Bob, Angeleyes, Debra, Yenny, anna2003 and Sonoma Bento!

    Yep, it's a fairly new (since this summer) box. I like all the separate divisions too. Sonoma, I'm not ready to be done with the heatwave! Just a littttle bit more...^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Each bento is the work of art.
    Your kids are so lucky to have Mom like you.

    ReplyDelete