Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Kalua Pig Bento


Kalua Pig Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Today's snack bento is made extra delicious with homemade kalua pig from Charlotte, who sent us home with leftovers from their potluck last weekend! Thanks so much Pat and Charlotte! The kids (and everyone) loved the kalua pig. Its salty goodness goes really well with rice and a bunny-shaped hard-boiled egg. I should have dyed the egg for better contrast, but of course I never learn my lesson about the washed-out egg effect. I must be doing something wrong with the white balance, or I should be fixing it in Photoshop somehow. Hmm. Anyway, the rest of the bento contains carrots, romanesco, tomato and grapes. The sweet cherries get a teeny little box all to themselves. Even though I only filled a silicone cup with pork, I bet TinySprite will be asking for more. It's so yummy! I have an exciting post coming up soon, so stay tuned....

15 comments:

  1. That pork looks really tasty! I think the egg looks just fine. Don't be so hard on yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lot of colorful fruits and veggies, fresh up my eyes! The bunny egg is cute with her little hat :) Delicious pork, sure TS will be asking for more. What on the next post? Can't wait hehehe ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just a snack? What a tease! lol. Why is it called kalua pig? The bunny is cute no matter what colour you dye it! Ooh, can't wait for the next post.. Building suspense here! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The white bunny is just fine! He is extra cute with the little hat! Ooo.. Counting down to yr next post! Hehe....
    Cheers !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot Sonoma Bento, Lia, Chantale and anna2003!

    Chantale, kalua refers to the Hawaiian method of cooking in an underground oven with heated rocks. These days the ordinary household cook uses the conventional oven though! Still yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! A taste of Hawaii in a box! :) Perfect bunny egg too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan!! Yay for Hawaii in a box! Thanks a lot :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bunny looks fine, espcecially with the hat!
    Kalua pig is perfect for bento IMO.
    I think ALL your posts are exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Debra, always so supportive and kind!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pork definitely look delicious, and I find nothing wrong with your bunny! Can't wait to see what is coming up next :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, such a bright, savory snack! I so look forward to seeing the newest happy, healthy and deliciously fun bento here at HLB, Sheri!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of kalua pig! Your bunny looks fine...my eggs always have cracks in the white part.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh.. now makes sense. haha! Oh yes, those are super yummy. Only had it once in Hawaii but in a quesadilla. Still dreaming about it..

    ReplyDelete
  14. It all looks delish and the egg looks perfect, no worries ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks KidsDreamWork, Bentobird, Kuusou, Chantale and Mommyof2girlz! Appreciate your encouragement for my poor egg :)

    ReplyDelete