Monday, August 23, 2010

Baby Chick and Chicken Bento

Teriyaki chicken, broccoli and carrots make up the main part of this bento, and I added a quail egg for fun. I didn't plan to make a chick, but as I was peeling the shell, the thin white part of the egg tore while leaving the yolk completely intact. That has never happened to me, and I had always been too nervous to try to make this egg chick in the past because I thought it would be too hard to cut the white without ruining the yolk. Sure enough, while I was trying to cut the zigzag part of the white, I cut into the yolk several times. I think my knife isn't sharp enough. Anyway, I think you get the idea! I added nori eyes and a carrot beak, and several chick and fowl friends. I used my EcoLunch box for this bento, which includes a separate lidded container for foods that might leak. Into that round container I put cottage cheese and fresh berries sprinkled with wheat germ. I also slipped in some plum slices in the last remaining gap. There! Chicken and egg bento :)

14 comments:

  1. Love it!!!!

    I just followed the radio Tweet here and was thinking, how did I miss this bento. Refreshed Twitter and there it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peep-peep! That means cute. :)
    Enjoyed listening to your interview. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so on the ball! Thanks Shannon!

    Thanks so much Debra; really appreciate your taking time out to listen. You always support me and it means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the teriyaki chicken looks so yummy! And there are so many cutie little chicks and duckling in the bento! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. KidsDreamWork: I love how picks make the bento look cute and all in theme!!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zigzag on the chick is nicely done! I'm imagining all the duckies and chick are sitting together near you yummy chicken teriyaki pond under a hot weather :D Once again, cool interview! Glad that SB will post it tomorrow on her blog so everyone in our bento world can hear it too (^.^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is lovely! And I love that little chick in egg, it's so cute! Love the cottage cheese and fresh berries combo. Total yum. Can't wait to listen to the interview! I think I was about 15 minutes too late, time diff and trying to get the kid to sleep. By the time I got to my computer, it was too late. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so pretty and cute! like the quail egg chick! I think you did a great job coz can't see any flaws at all! The cheese n berries with wheat germs looks so refreshing too! Yummy yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Squeeeee! This is just superlatively sweet, Sheri! A beautiful bento, wonderfully nutritious, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cutie chick and lovely bento! The fresh berries look wonderful with the cottage cheese. I have soooo much to catch up on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. quack quack and chick chick.. total cuteness in the bento.. good job in cutting the egg white, i know it is not easy..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lia, thanks for the zigzag compliment, but you can't see the back side, hehe! Always appreciate your support!

    Thanks a lot Chantale for your sweet comments and encouragement!

    Aw, so sweet of you Xelia! You are nice to not see any flaws!

    Thanks a lot Bentobird!

    Thanks Susan! Great to see you again!

    Bobo, yes, it's not easy for me! Thanks for the nice comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, cool, that has never happened for me with the yolk - it always crumbles and falls out! your chick is adorable, and i love that you used the matching picks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know, me too megan! I was shocked.
    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete