Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Brown Bear Shoyu Egg Bento


Brown Bear Shoyu Egg Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Today's bento contains the ever-popular kid favorite rotisserie chicken, on a lettuce bed. I made a brown bear from a hard-boiled egg by letting it sit in a small bowl of shoyu. After rolling it around to get even color, let it sit on its side for a few more minutes without moving. You'll see that the spot it's resting on will be a little lighter in color than the rest. I used this spot for the bear's nose. His facial details are cut from nori and satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potato).

There's also a cherry tomato half, some kumquats, strawberries, blackberry, grapes, baby carrots, broccoli and peapods. I really like this box too. It's just the right size for my boy's appetite, and all the sections allow me to keep foods and flavors separate.

I'm so happy we're starting to see some colorful fruits and vegetables in the markets. I'm hoping my bento get more and more colorful as a result, as the season goes on... how about you?

14 comments:

  1. Another cutey pie bento! Love the technique for the bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute brown bear! Thanks to share how you do it, love the color on the nose ... very neat job! I put kumquats too on my today's bento but yours are way too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow so many details and different flavors! I love what you did with the kumquats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Debra! Hope you try it; I wanna see your kuma :)

    Thanks Lia, the white nose spot was an accident, haha! Kumquats are fun to play with, don't you think? Too bad they aren't sweeter though :)

    Thanks a lot Fluteloop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kumquats cracked me up!!! Awesome job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh so adorable kumquats ha ha!!! :D And that cute Bear-egg oh my! ^__^ I love how you turn normal food into cute characters only with few foodpicks and handles <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeeeek...beary cute! Mr and Ms Kumquat are a hoot! Yes, more bento color eagerly anticipated as the farmer's market opens next month...can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Angi!

    Thanks Token: yes, my specialty is trying to make the most out of the least...so you know if I can make it, you can do it easily too :) Thanks a lot!

    Hi bentobird; our farmers market is open year-round, but with the pickings much slimmer this time of year...so I am looking forward to next season as much as you! Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, I love the bear and the kumquat people make me laugh! Wonderful bento!

    ReplyDelete
  10. rainnykwan@yahoo.comMay 21, 2010 at 12:10 AM

    so colorful bento, two thumbs for the idea of the kumquats couple

    ReplyDelete