Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hearts, Flowers & Tiger Bento

I decided to make a double celebration bento: Chinese New Year and Valentines Day, so here's my effort.

Along with shoyu chicken in lettuce, this bento has roasted broccoli and sweet tricolor peppers. For detail interest I cut some sweet potato and pink carrot flowers. The fruit section contains the mini mandarin tiger decorated with pieces of red grape for Chinese New Year, and strawberry hearts. More red grapes underneath. The facial details took the LONGest! But it turns out that grape skin is pretty good for this purpose. You just have to cut it away from the flesh so that it lays flat enough to stay on the surface. I was happy to keep it all in the fruit family for the decoration, for taste's sake :)

This festive paper and heart doily are a gift from a bento friend, and I found this sweet dessert mini fork just for this occasion. It's kinda frilly and flowery, but my 6 year old boy won't mind! He still loves the lovey-doveyness of Valentines Day :D

14 comments:

  1. This is so sweet! I love it!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, your tiger is so cute! I love, love, love the strawberry hearts, very sweet and perfect for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea to combine the celebrations! Lovely arrangement of foods. Saba Man is peering over my shoulder with "ooohhss and ahhhs". :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Susan! The hearts were fun to make; I only wish I had better shaped strawberries :)

    Thanks Debra! Nice to have some nice things to celebrate in this dreary time of year, isn't it? Thanks S.M. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, awed with your fun on the tiger, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are great Sheri! I love the tiger ... that mini mandarin is an awesome work. And the strawberry heart so sweet. We kind of connected as my today's bento also use the same flower cutter as yours hahaha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks javapot! Rawr!

    Hi Lia, Thanks! I should have cut more stripes but unlike you, my hand got tired! Have to use imagination for the rest :)
    Ooh, yeah, I love that tiny flower cutter! I got the nested set and it's sooo cute and mini!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheri, you always make such beautiful bento. Put's my efforts to shame *sigh* :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really cute bento! I am getting hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I can't believe you made the face with grape skin! It is amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. arkonite babe, thanks so much! But I'm always learning from other bento makers, each one hopefully gets better with time :)

    Thanks a lot Uniflame!!

    Haha, thanks Jenn! It's not that hard to cut the grape skin; it's kind of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always come across with I've-never-thought-about-it-before ideas Sheri. In your hands, that mandarin orange turned out to be a cute tiger :D. Thanks for sharing the idea of using orange to make charaben :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a lot tatabonita! So sweet of you!

    ReplyDelete