Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Field Trip Bento #2


Field Trip Bento #2, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Today's bento is completely disposable because MisterMan is going on a field trip to the Children's Museum. I usually pack a sandwich, boring as it may be, because it's the easiest thing for him to eat neatly whilst sitting on a bench somewhere in the windy, rainy, stormy weather we've been having lately.

In his whole wheat sandwich thin he gets a fried egg, ham, cheddar cheese and spring greens. I put a bear face on top to make it a little happier. The bear is made of corn tortilla and his facial features are nori. The crown is a piece of cheddar cheese. To make the face to stick to the sandwich, I melted some cheese on the back to "glue" it on.

I also threw in a peeled satsuma mandarin, a giant strawberry, and some cherries. I wrapped it all up in wax paper to keep it from drying out, and I used a grass baran to try to keep the sandwich away from the fruits to keep it from getting soggy.

For the container, I used a recycled plastic strawberry box, which I like because it has a lid which snaps shut tightly. Of course, there are holes all over the box, which is why I had to use the wax paper. Actually, I put the whole thing in another plastic bag with his water bottle, so that should keep everything from drying out too much before lunchtime.

Here's a pic of the closed box.

Have a good time, MisterMan!!

16 comments:

  1. Oh Sheri! You even packed a very nice and cute bento for the field trip. Be careful, the crown might be stolen by someone far far away LOL :D
    And it's a great idea too to re-cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a tortilla AND a sandwich?! are you sure this isn't one of my lunches? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Even when you pack bentos using repurposed,recycled containers your lunches are irresistable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lia! This would have been a very boring one but I thought I should add a cute face like you, and then everyone is much happier :) Thank you Lia!

    Hi amanda, haha! Great go-to lunch idea! My kids would even eat plain tortillas if I let them :)

    Thanks a lot Debra! I hope everything stays in place after the boy flings it all the way to the bus, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, good idea to use cheese "glue" and the strawberry box. i just got takeout in a container the other night that i literally squealed out loud over when i realized it was perfect for a disposable bento - good ones are hard to find! i'm sure mister man will be the envy of all the other kids on the field trip with this cutie pie bento :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi megan,
    A true "bentonerd", getting excited over a takeout box! Of course, I have a whole stack of these strawberry containers in my cabinet...luckily they nest nicely :)
    Thanks a lot megan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so great to see the vovely made bento for your kid. That are times I wished I had a child, too. ^^"
    Loos yummy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent re-use of this box! Glad that there are other "bentonerds" out there who get excited by repurposing containers and other items:) Hope Mister Man had a great time at the Children's Museum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The strawberry box is brilliant! I always dread field trip day because I hate giving kidlet disposable sack lunches, but this is a great idea! I will start saving my strawberry boxes instead of putting them in the recycling.

    The teddy with a crown is so adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a lot Lil'chan! You are lucky to make your lovely bento for the one you love too :)

    Thanks for your nice comments bentobird! He did have a great time indeed :)

    Glad to give you a good idea for Kidlet's field trips too! At least a second use for plastic is always a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. great way to pack food for a field trip - all easily can be disposed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exactly. Although, one time I packed it all in a cute cardboard Disney box, and he liked it so much he collapsed it back down and brought it back home, haha! So I guess I can use that one yet again :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love making lunches for field trip! Adhering the bear face was such a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not great at the field trip bento, 'cuz I like to use the cute cups and picks! But it's good to remember how to make a bento that focuses just on the food. Thanks veganf!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very clever re-use of the plastic box. Never thought of it. Ur sandwich looks really yummy! Am sure Misterman learned a lot during his field trip! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Xelia! He loves those field trips :D

    ReplyDelete